[Engine-devel] UI by-products of Neutron integration

Malini Rao mrao at redhat.com
Mon Aug 26 20:39:48 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

Lior, this is a good interaction paradigm but it is good only if it is a consistent interaction paradigm. Based on my conversations with various users so far, I see some emerging issues on the way the system tree is perceived and also some of the confusions it is causing in people. Because of the way it is positioned prominently and permanently on the left, it looks like it drives the content on the left but that is not 'always' the case. Based on which main tab you are on and based on the level of granularity on the tree, the changes on the right change or sometimes only the search box updates. At some point, we should definitely look into trying to make the expectation between the tree and content more obvious and consistent and your approach seems to be pointing in the right direction - i.e, the tree should always reflect your current context on the right.

Having said that, I am not sure we should plug this interaction in as an additional variant in some places as the users will totally be lost as to what behavior will occur anytime they click a link or node.

If you guys are ready to look into this in a more holistic manner, Eldan and I will be more than willing to spend some time coming up with a proposal to share with you all and/or we will be open to ideas from all.