[Engine-devel] Using REST API in web UI - review call summary

Michael Pasternak mpastern at redhat.com
Tue Dec 3 11:45:35 UTC 2013

On 11/28/2013 09:37 PM, Vojtech Szocs wrote:

> [...]

not exactly, "All-Content: True" will return other fields of this entity
(not the entity's your resource has relation with, as it was non-RESTful),
the differences is in cost of feeling these properties, if it's expensive
like running extra query to the engine (like Payload/Certificate/Ballooning in vm)
it's not shown by default.

>> we talked about this solution couple of years ago, but it was obvious
>> that there is no real "demand" for it till UI moves to REST,
>
> I assume you mean to let client selectively specify properties of given entity when making REST call, correct? If yes, are you planning to support such feature?

obviously this is one of the steps to take down the road to enhance the restapi.

>> btw it won't solve the problem where to fill UI entity you need combination
>> of N REST entities, you still will have to perform N + 1 queries to API
>
> Of course. But we can make improvements with regard to:
>
> - optimizing queries so that client receives/parses only data it needs (see my question above)
> - if necessary, combine such optimized queries into bigger "logical" queries (utilizing callback mechanism)

not sure about "bigger" (you can't change api interface), but combining few requests for the same entity
(in sake of less verbose communication) in to single GET call, is a well known pattern in distributed
systems.