[Engine-devel] Polling vs Pushing engine events

Sven Kieske S.Kieske at mittwald.de
Tue Dec 17 10:47:32 UTC 2013

Hi,

thanks for your fast replies.

We are aware that we can poll this via API, but we don't want to poll
it, as it's not a good solution, from a design point of view.

We will maybe write a little python script, which runs on engine-node
via SDK which polls the API and let this script push the information
forward to external systems over network when a certain event occurs.

Something similar to this in oVirt would be useful.
You don't want to poll every second, or more often, for simple
events like "is the vm already up?".

This just creates unnecessary network traffic and load on the polling
system.

With this solution we can at least avoid the network traffic.

This is, why I asked for a pushing logic.

Maybe it's now more clear?

But thanks again for your help :-)

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards

Sven Kieske

Systemadministrator
Mittwald CM Service GmbH & Co. KG
Königsberger Straße 6
32339 Espelkamp
T: +49-5772-293-100
F: +49-5772-293-333
https://www.mittwald.de
Geschäftsführer: Robert Meyer
St.Nr.: 331/5721/1033, USt-IdNr.: DE814773217, HRA 6640, AG Bad Oeynhausen
Komplementärin: Robert Meyer Verwaltungs GmbH, HRB 13260, AG Bad Oeynhausen