[Engine-devel] UX: Display VM Downtime in the UI

Malini Rao mrao at redhat.com
Wed Dec 18 21:31:32 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

ok

> >current state'. Also, I think since this col is so far from the first
> >column that has the status icon, we should have a tooltip on the
> >value that says ' Uptime' , 'down time' or '<Status> time'.
>
> Agree on the tooltip.

I think we should do this in addition to whatever way we decide to display this info elsewhere in the table.

> >> I am not sure how column sorting is being implemented, but if we
> >> combine uptime and downtime into a single column we have an
> >> opportunity to provide a really intuitive sort where the longest
> >> uptime machines are at the top and the longest downtime machines
> >> are at the bottom.  This could be accomplished by treating uptime
> >> as a positive interval and downtime as a negative interval.
> >
> >MR: That's an interesting idea. Not sure how that would translate if
> >we did all states and times. Then I would think you would do
> >descending order within each state but then we would have to fix a
> >sequence for the display of the various statuses based on the
> >statuses that matter most.
>
> This is much simpler if you just work with Up and Down.
>

> >> Questions for you all:
> >>
> >> - Do you support the idea of changing the Uptime column to include
> >> Downtime as well or would you prefer a new column instead?
> >

> >MR: I do not like the idea of introducing new columns for this
> >purpose since at any given time, only one of the columns will be
> >populated. Another idea is to remove this column all together and
> >include the time for the current status as a tooltip on the status
> >icon preceding the name.
>
> What about adding the uptime/downtime to the status column itself?  I
> don't necessarily think this will muddy the status much since there is
> still an icon on the left.

I like that idea. This way, a column is not dedicated to a piece of info that is relevant only sometimes. Depending on how critical/ important this info is, this could just be a tooltip on the icon and the up and Down status values.