[Engine-devel] Import/snapshots duplicate MAC support

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Fri Feb 8 12:19:31 UTC 2013

On 07/02/2013 14:21, Muli Salem wrote:

> [...]

mac pools per network are a good feature, but i would still warn on
duplicates. mac's in general are supposed to be unique in a DC, not only
in a single layer 2 network (i.e., one checking a switch mac table isn't
expecting to find different sources for the same mac address).

so +1 for the feature, but -1 as solution for this problem.

>> 3. Don't block, and allow duplicate MACs in these scenarios, but
>> block on activating a NIC
>> with duplicate MAC address. Warn the user that the NIC is with
>> duplicate MAC, and
>> perhaps even unplug or unwire it so that it would be obvious that
>> it's using someone else's
>> MAC.

+1 on importing in unplug mode and enabling this check on plugging
even better if we could detect at import time with candoaction and let
user choose if to 'generate new mac'.