[Engine-devel] How to debug in frontend project

Vojtech Szocs vszocs at redhat.com
Mon Mar 4 15:38:01 UTC 2013

Hi,

please find some details on debugging Web Admin below:

0) Make sure to export appropriate oVirt-related environment variables, for example:
   $ export OVIRT_GIT=$HOME/workspace/ovirt-engine
   $ export JBOSS_HOME=/usr/local/dev/ovirt-jboss-as
   $ export ENGINE_DEFAULTS=$OVIRT_GIT/backend/manager/conf/engine.conf.defaults

1) Perform full oVirt build, with Web Admin GWT compilation enabled
   $ cd $OVIRT_GIT
   $ mvn clean install -Pdep,gwt-admin -Dgwt.compiler.localWorkers=8

(Note: 'dep' profile deploys engine.ear to Engine JBoss instance, 'gwt-admin' profile enables Web Admin GWT compilation, 'gwt.compiler.localWorkers' is optional and should match the number of CPU cores to speed up GWT compilation)

2) Start Engine JBoss instance (standalone mode)
   $ cd $JBOSS_HOME/bin
   $ ./standalone.sh

(Note: for server-side code debugging, you might want to edit '$JBOSS_HOME/bin/standalone.conf' and uncomment JPDA settings for remote socket debugging)

3) Launch Web Admin Development Mode session
   $ cd $OVIRT_GIT/frontend/webadmin/modules/webadmin
   $ mvn gwt:debug -Pgwtdev,gwt-admin -Dgwt.noserver=true

4) Connect to Web Admin Development Mode session from Java IDE
   > In Eclipse, create new 'Remote Java Application' debug configuration as follows:
     - host 'localhost', port 8000
     - connection type 'Standard (Socket Attach)'
     - in 'Source' tab, you might want to add related frontend projects if you previously imported them into Eclipse (Add | Java project), e.g. 'uicommonweb' and 'gwt-common'

5) Launch Web Admin in web browser
   > open http://127.0.0.1:8700/webadmin/webadmin/WebAdmin.html?gwt.codesvr=127.0.0.1:9997
   > (first-time only) you will be prompted to install GWT Developer plugin for the given browser, proceed with installation and restart the browser
   > open the URL again, GWT Developer plugin will now connect to Web Admin Development Mode ('gwt.codesvr')
   > there will be a new tab in Development Mode GUI for the given browser, including client-side logs

(Note: each time you make a client-side code change, you have to refresh the URL in web browser, causing Web Admin to restart.)

Regards,
Vojtech