[Engine-devel] Generic "name is used" message

Mike Kolesnik mkolesni at redhat.com
Sun Mar 17 08:46:37 UTC 2013

Hi,

Lately I had to add an error message that "name is already used".
I looked in the translations files and saw many messages for specific entity types in the system that looked much the same:
VDS_TRY_CREATE_WITH_EXISTING_PARAMS=Cannot ${action} ${type}. Host with the same name already exists
ACTION_TYPE_FAILED_VM_ALREADY_EXIST = Cannot $ { action } $ { type }. VM with the same name already exists .
etc..

What I decided to do is not add another "X with the same name already exists" message,
but instead add a generic message for this condition.

You can review the patch here :
http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/12361

I also went the extra mile to change the current messages that look like this to use this message:
http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/13063/

It is not a full coverage, since some commands don't fill the $action $type replacements,
and the required change is a bit bigger than this patch scope, but it's a good start.

FYI, and if you see other generic messages repeating themselves, don't hesitate to squash them.

Regards,
Mike