[Engine-devel] Proposal for support ISO domain on other types of file based storage.

Ayal Baron abaron at redhat.com
Mon Mar 18 06:51:03 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> On Sun 17 Mar 2013 10:12:55 PM CST, Ayal Baron wrote:

As I said above, I totally agree that we need to be able to attach ISOs on local host, what I'm saying is that we don't need a local ISO *domain*.  All we need is the ability to list the content of a directory on the local host (to be able to choose the ISO) and attach it to the VM.  Since the attach part already exists then the gap is just the listing issue.

> > Basically what we need is:
> > 1. a way to connect to file based storage (let's leave block aside
> > for now) - this already exists via the connectStorageServer verb
> > 2. a way to list and present a file system tree in gui (give an
> > arbitrary path to vdsm and list content) and possibly filter
> > results by type (vfd, iso) - does not exist today.  Possibly some
> > security aspects here that need hashing out.
> > 3. a way to specify a path to a file when attaching an iso/vfd to a
> > VM - this is the way it works today
> >
> > This would devoid the need for isoUploader and allow users to
> > simply manage an nfs export with files.
> > Next step would be to make connectStorageServer support httpfs [1]
> > and then we'd be able to mount ISOs directly over http (hopefully
> > this would be sufficient to support ISOs stored on S3, swift,
> > glance, etc).
>
> Actually,  we could use the qemu curl backend image support directly.
> That means we don't need mount the place storing ISO images.  We can
> just maintain a list of ISO image with its link, which could be http,
> ftp and ssh.

even better!