[Engine-devel] FeatureSupported and compatibility versions

Shireesh Anjal sanjal at redhat.com
Wed Mar 27 08:52:35 UTC 2013

On 03/20/2013 08:20 PM, Yair Zaslavsky wrote:

> [...]
>>> 3.1 - true
>>> 3.2 - true
>>>
>>> It will also mean that when 3.3 goes out, someone has to make sure
>>> that another entry is added for 3.3-true. I think it is not logical
>>> as
>>> well as scalable if you have more versions. And it sounds far more
>>> complex (to maintain) than just having
>>>
>>> <Feature>SupportedFrom = 3.1
>>>
>>> So I would like to know if there are any objections to my proposal.
>>> intend to use this for at least the gluster related features.

I've sent a patch (http://gerrit.ovirt.org/12970) with following changes:

1) Introduced CompatibilityUtils that provides utility methods for
checking if a given feature is supported in the config. One method to
check based on boolean values (as is being done today for virt
features), and nother to check based on a range (from, to) which I would
like to use for gluster features.
2) Renamed FeatureSupported to VirtFeatureSupported, and made it use the
first utility method from CompatibilityUtils
3) Introduced GlusterFeatureSupported for gluster features, which uses
the second utility method from CompatibilityUtils

Key advantage here is that
- we don't have to touch any virt specifc source for adding
compatibility checks for gluster features
- virt features continue to use the existing boolean config check

Any comments / suggestions / reviews will be highly appreciated :)