[Engine-devel] UI Plugin API improvements

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Sat Mar 30 22:30:49 UTC 2013

On 03/30/2013 03:12 PM, René Koch wrote:
> Hi Vojtech,
>
> Thanks a lot for the information.
> Are these changes already available in latest nightly repository or do I have to fetch them from git?
>
> As UI API gets more and more features I was wondering if I can get the UI plugin API version with a JavaScript call like api.getVersion().
> I think it could sometimes be useful for UI plugin development to get the version of UI API to be able to use the right API call - at the moment only oVirt 3.2 is available which supports UI plugins, but in future there will be more oVirt version and hopefully RHEV will also support UI plugins (at least as tech preview).
> What do you think?

interesting point. maybe less of an issue if the ui plugin is
distributed in rpm form, and can validate minimal version.
but if a single codebase for the uiplugin is to support multiple
versions for deployment, it may want to make some features available
only if engine version is X or >X.

so just wondering:
- do you see uiplugins distributed as rpms or some other way?
- do you see uiplugin codebase trying to accomodate multiple versions,
or branch/version similar to supported engine, and one needs latest
engine for latest uiplugin, etc.

Thanks,
    Itamar