[Engine-devel] REST vs. UI validation

Allon Mureinik amureini at redhat.com
Wed May 1 07:05:34 UTC 2013

REST shouldn't have any validations (perhaps maybe only that the passed type is correct, etc. - Michael, correct me if I'm wrong).

The real validations are in the backend, which both REST and the GUI invoke. Any validation the GUI does in addition to the backend is just a user-experience enhancement (e.g., if !@#^!^$) is not a valid DC name, there is no reason to send it to the backend).

Vered - I disagree that this is by design.
There is only one definition of what a correct value is, there should be no ambiguity about it[1]
If the GUI prohibits you from a legal configuration - it should be fixed.
if the backend allows an illegal configuration - a CDA should be added.
My two cents - this is not OK, please open bugs (or even better - send patches!) for the specific issues.

[1] Just to be clear, there is a difference between not being able to do something from the UI and having different validations.
For example, there is no GUI for scanning a storage domain (http://www.ovirt.org/Features/Domain_Scan). I'd prefer having a GUI for that too, but not having it is just a missing capability, not a disambiguity with REST.