[Engine-devel] [ANN] New development environment for ovirt-engine

Alon Bar-Lev alonbl at redhat.com
Tue May 14 06:18:44 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

You have two different git branches, so you have two different binaries out of the build, right?
These binaries should reside some where.
Currently you are probably use maven deploy or something similar into single jboss, without proper environment, overriding each time the other branch's binaries.
What if there is a change in configuration between the two? more prerequisites, different service configuration? different database schema?

To make it easy, you can just duplicate the development environment, and be sure you are up and running.

If you still want to take the chance you can... just make install-dev PREFIX=$HOME/same-place and you will have the behavior of overriding the same environment, and hoping for the best.

> I was used to create a git branch with the name of the BZ# and use
> create_db.sh script to create a new database with the BZ# name.
> Is this possible in the new method?

Yes.
You create an empty database manually, let's say engine-branch1.
Then you install the environment to own location, let say make install-dev PREFIX=$HOME/ovirt-engine-branch1
When running engine-setup-2 you instruct the setup to use engine-branch1 database.
This database will be created out of the new branch's create_db.sh.
create_db.sh should not run manually now.

However, if you insist of creating a database manually and modify an existing environment to use the new database, it is possible as well.
Edit $PREFIX/etc/ovirt-engine/engine.conf.d/10-setup-database.conf, and specify where database is, then start the engine service.

> Also, does this mean that I will have to create/configure a new workspace for
> eclipse each time I am starting to work on a new bug?

This I do not know. How does it work now when you switch branches?