[Engine-devel] [vdsm] Proposal VDSM <=> Engine Data Statistics Retrieval Optimization

Vinzenz Feenstra vfeenstr at redhat.com
Thu May 30 08:00:17 EDT 2013

Hi,

I finally have an update for the proposal ready, after some thinking and
throwing some ideas around with colleagues we came to the conclusion
that the best approach might be as followed (without having dynamic
return values)

I have set up some test engine with 'FakeVDSM' and I am tracking the
data sent. The system has 250 hosts and about 10000 VMs running. I have
captured 1.3 GiB TCP data within about 20 minutes only from the
communication between the engine and the fake VDSM host. In a frame of
23 minutes I have captured 13.560 getAllVMStats and getAllVdsStats
calls, and 67827 calls to list.

getAllVmStats replies have produced in that time about 510MiB of data
transmitted to the engine. This proposal below would reduce the overall
amount of data significantly and we're preparing to work on a prototype
for the engine backend as well so we can backup this statement with hard
numbers.

Here's the proposal.

    VDSM <=> Engine data retrieval optimization

      Motivation:

Currently the oVirt Engine is polling a lot of data from VDSM every 15
seconds. This should be optimized and the amount of data requested
should be more specific.

For each VM the data currently contains much more information than
actually needed which blows up the size of the XML content quite big. We
could optimize this by splitting the reply on the getVmStats based on
the needs of the engine into different requests. For this reason Omer
Frenkel and me have split up the data into parts based on their usage.

      Changes

        New Verbs

          getAllRuntimeStats

Get runtime information of all VMs
Returns for each VM a map with UUID and a value of:

  * *@cpuSys* Ratio of CPU time spent by qemu on other than guest time
  * *@cpuUser* Ratio of CPU time spent by the guest VM
  * *@memUsage* The percent of memory in use by the guest
  * *@elapsedTime* The number of seconds that the VM has been running
  * *@status* The current status of the given VM
  * *@statsAge* The age of these statistics in seconds
  * *@hashes* Hashes of several statistics and information around VMs

Hashes consists of:

  * *@info* Hash for VmConfInfo data
  * *@config* Hash of the VM configuration XML
  * *@status* Hash of the VmStatusInfo data
  * *@guestDetails* Hash of the VmGuestDetails data

          getStatus

Get status information about a list of VMs
Parameters:

  * *@vmIDs* a list of UUIDs for VMs to query

Returns for each VM in vmIDs a map with UUID and a value of:

  * *timeOffset* The time difference from host to the VM in seconds
  * *monitorResponse* Indicates if the qemu monitor is responsive
  * *clientIp* The IP address of the client connected to the display
  * *username* the username associated with the current session
  * *session* The current state of user interaction with the VM
  * *guestIPs* A space separated string of assigned IPv4 addresses
  * *pauseCode* Indicates the reason a VM has been paused

          getConfInfo

Get configuration information about a list of VMs
Parameters:

  * *@vmIDs* a list of UUIDs for VMs to query

Returns for each VM in vmIDs a map with UUID and a value of:

  * *acpiEnable* Indicates if ACPI is enabled inside the VM
  * *displayPort* The port in use for unencrypted display data
  * *displaySecurePort* The port in use for encrypted display data
  * *displayType* The type of display in use
  * *displayIp* The IP address to use for accessing the VM display
  * *pid* The process ID of the underlying qemu process
  * *vmType* The type of VM
  * *kvmEnable* Indicates if KVM hardware acceleration is enabled
  * *cdrom* /*optional*/ The path to an ISO image used in the VM's
    CD-ROM device
  * *boot* /*optional*/ An alias for the type of device used to boot the VM

          getAllDeviceStats

VM device statistics containing information for getting statistics and
SLA information
Returns for each VM a map with UUID and a value of:

  * *memoryStats* Memory statistics as reported by the guest agent
  * *balloonInfo* Guest memory balloon information
  * *disksUsage* Info about mounted filesystems as reported by the agent
  * *network* Network bandwidth/utilization statistics
  * *disks* Disk bandwidth/utilization statistics

          getGuestDetails

Get details from the guest OS from a list of VMs
Parameters:

  * *@vmIDs* a list of UUIDs for VMs to query

Returns for each VM in vmIDs a map with UUID and a value of:

  * *appsList* A list of installed applications with their versions
  * *netIfaces* Network device address info as reported by the agent

        Usage

Currently the engine is requesting currently every 3 seconds the vm list
from each vdsm host and every 15 seconds all the data mentioned above
for all VMs.

The change would be as follows:

The engine requests every 3 seconds getAllRuntimeStats from vdsm which
will give the engine the most used data. If the engine has a mismatch of
the hashes returned by getAllRuntimeStats it should request the data
changed.

if hashes.info changed => request getConfInfo with all vmIDs on that
host where the hash changed if hashes.status changed => request
getStatus with all vmIDs on that host where the hash changed if
hashes.guestDetails changed => request getGuestDetails with all vmIDs on
that host where the hash changed

Request getAllDeviceStats periodically e.g. every 5 minutes, which
should be sufficient for the DWH, in case it is not it could be even
configurable.

On 03/17/2013 04:30 PM, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 10:28:15AM -0400, Ayal Baron wrote:

Regards,

Vinzenz Feenstra | Senior Software Engineer
RedHat Engineering Virtualization R & D
Phone: +420 532 294 625
IRC: vfeenstr or evilissimo

See how it works at redhat.com