[Engine-devel] [UX] how to design a bar/line chart?

Eldan Hildesheim ehildesh at redhat.com
Sun Nov 10 14:56:57 UTC 2013

Hello all,
We use to have a good solution in the period pre-WPF.
A line chart (used to be in flash) that works like a plotter:
The Line Bar (not bar) had a small animation that shifted all the bar to the left.
When a new data arrived it just added a new line (to the right) and as I said before, in parallel it always shifted slowly to the left.
The animation gives the impression that data is streaming and when a real new data arrives the user gets it very fast.
We have to sync between the animation and the rate of the arrival of the data but this is easy.
If we can't find a good framework it can be created from scratch with JS, svg or canvas.
Now regarding its position:
Rollover is good but not enough, we should somehow put it in the lower panel under general or even another tab - (live data).
We could later on have a (live data Tab) in other places as well like host, cluster...
Eldan