[Engine-devel] Localization of canDoAction error messages

Daniel Erez derez at redhat.com
Wed Oct 16 20:30:07 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

IIUC the exact request, I think you can use a mechanism I've introduced
a while back into the error translator. It requires adding each variable
separately (and multiple times when needed) to the CanDoActionMessages
list - e.g. [1].
The messages will be then localized and displayed in a bullet list layout.
However, there's one imitation, adding a title message is trickier
(i.e. every message must preceded by a bullet); as an alternative,
you can probably utilize 'CommandBase -> setDescription' which is used
on RunMultipleAction failure (e.g. for displaying VM name on top
of the relevant errors bullet list).

[1]
code ->

    addCanDoActionMessage(VdcBllMessages.VAR__TYPE__HOST);
    addCanDoActionMessage(String.format("$%1$s %2$s", "hostName", "host-A"));
    addCanDoActionMessage(VdcBllMessages.ACTION_TYPE_FAILED_CONSTRAINT_MEMORY);

    addCanDoActionMessage(VdcBllMessages.VAR__TYPE__HOST);
    addCanDoActionMessage(String.format("$%1$s %2$s", "hostName", "host-B"));
    addCanDoActionMessage(VdcBllMessages.ACTION_TYPE_FAILED_CONSTRAINT_MEMORY);

    [VdcBllMessages.ACTION_TYPE_FAILED_CONSTRAINT_MEMORY =
        "${type} ${hostName} failed constraint memory"]

output ->

    Error while executing action:

    VM1:
    * Host host-A failed constraint memory
    * Host host-B failed constraint memory

note:
instead of adding VAR__TYPE__HOST multiple times, it should be possible to
just add a new variable that won't conflict with ${type} (which is already used
by VAR__TYPE__VM in case of RunVmCommand).