[Engine-devel] ui code: possible problem in 'remove' confirmation dialog

Vojtech Szocs vszocs at redhat.com
Mon Oct 21 12:57:16 UTC 2013

> From: "Daniel Erez" <derez at redhat.com>

Yes, I guess some sort of cleanup will be required anyway.

For me, the question is if we want to give models the ability to specify full remove confirm msg (i.e. "Are you sure...") or just the item part of it (i.e. "Virtual Machine(s)").

>From localization perspective, full remove confirm msg seems more flexible but will add more msg keys, however as you wrote we'd need some more changes in UiCommon models anyway.

> But indeed, it will require making sure that no one is
> currently overriding the setMessage() by mistake to
> avoid such possible regressions.
>

> > > Just need to make sure that no one is currently overriding
> > > it by mistake to avoid possible regressions.
> >
> > I think the general pattern used in UiCommon models when dealing with
> > remove
> > confirm dialogs is following:
> > - set wnd hashName to "remove_<entity>" i.e. "remove_virtual_machine"
> > - set wnd message to "<specific item(s)>" i.e. "Virtual Machine(s)"
> >
> > Alternative to Daniel's suggestion, following above mentioned pattern:
> >
> >     if (message != null) {
> >         // expecting message to be "<specific item(s)>"
> >         // should yield "Are you sure you want to remove <specific
> >         item(s)>?"
> >         super.setMessage(messages.removeConfirmationPopupMessage(message));
> >     } else {
> >         super.setMessage(message);
> >     }
>
> What about default value (when message is null)?

The setMessage code I've mentioned above was based on assumption that UiCommon models such as VmListModel will always follow convention like removeConfirmDialogModel.setMessage("item(s)") .. but maybe such assumption is too strong.

In general, you're right, there should be some default value handling included (I forgot about this, sorry).

> Do you mean we should add another abstract class in
> the hierarchy that would default it to
> "Are you sure you want to remove the following items?".
> [btw, we might have some localization issues with this
> pattern as we've encountered with 'no items to display';
> so just need to check it out].

OK, in that case we can follow Daniel's suggestion (setMessage code that just delegates to super.setMessage unless message == null for which there'd be some default msg), along with updating relevant UiCommon models (i.e. strings used when calling setMessage).