[Engine-devel] Question about Disk Hotplug

Roy Golan rgolan at redhat.com
Wed Sep 11 08:27:04 UTC 2013

On Tue 10 Sep 2013 09:20:32 PM IDT, Gustavo Frederico Temple Pedrosa
wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> We proposed some changes in how to query if an operating system
> supports hotplug, then Itamar suggested that disk hotplugging and NIC
> hotplugging could be separated from each other. While it is pretty
> clear how to put info about NIC hotplugging in the osinfo, here are a
> few issues when trying to introduce the same concept for disk hotplugging.
>
> Some disk interfaces do not support hotplugging at all (like IDE),
> some of them support it in the x86_64, but not in the ppc64
> architecture (like the VirtIO blk) and others support it in both
> architectures (like VirtIO SCSI). There is also a ppc64 specific
> controller called SPAPR VSCSI, which supports it too.
>
> So, how do you propose a syntax to cover all these cases?
>
> I thought about something along the lines of:
>
> os.{id}.devices.disk.hotpluggableInterfaces = VirtIO_SCSI, VirtIO
>
> Thanks,
>
> Leonardo Bianconi/Vitor de Lima/Gustavo Pedrosa

"storage" is a better term than "disk" so:

os.{id}.devices.storage...

maybe in the future we may expand the metadata model to hold devices
and hook it to an OS

device.{id}....
os.{id}.devices={deviceId}

just a thought, its unnecessary for now.