[Engine-devel] Broken devel setup on Gentoo?

Alon Bar-Lev alonbl at redhat.com
Wed Jan 1 11:15:24 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

So you are using PREFIX, there is no other way to avoid installing into /usr/local which this user has no permission to write into.

$ make install-dev
<snip>
install: cannot change permissions of ‘/usr/local/etc/’: No such file or directory
install: cannot create directory ‘/usr/local/etc’: Permission denied
make[2]: *** [copy-recursive] Error 1

and using mixed git and PREFIX is highly not recommended as you do not know which files are being touched, make install-dev may actually overwrite your sources.

Alon