[Engine-devel] How to custom the UI for oVirt?

Vojtech Szocs vszocs at redhat.com
Thu Jan 2 16:57:25 UTC 2014

Hi!

thanks to Oved and Greg for providing useful references.

Some more notes on oVirt UI architecture & development:

- we use Google Web Toolkit (GWT) as the main UI SDK/technology:
  http://www.gwtproject.org/overview.html
  attached slides "oVirt UI Developer Sessions: Google Web Toolkit"

- we use GWT-Platform (GWTP) to utilize Model-View-Presenter
  architecture in our GWT application:
  https://github.com/ArcBees/GWTP
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_View_Presenter
  http://www.gwtproject.org/articles/mvp-architecture.html
  http://www.gwtproject.org/articles/mvp-architecture-2.html
  http://courses.coreservlets.com/Course-Materials/pdf/ajax/GWT-MVP-Intro.pdf

- we use GWT-Inject (GIN) for dependency injection:
  http://code.google.com/p/google-gin/wiki/GinTutorial

- we have UI Plugin infrastructure that supports extending
  application UI via JavaScript/HTML:
  http://www.ovirt.org/Features/UIPlugins
  http://www.ovirt.org/Tutorial/UIPlugins/CrashCourse

Unfortunately, http://www.ovirt.org/DebugFrontend is out of
date, I'll try to update it soon.

Also, http://www.ovirt.org/Architecture is missing the GWT UI
part, will update that one too.

In general, you can decide how to approach customizing oVirt UI:

1, change (Java/GWT) UI source code and rebuild Engine

2, write UI Plugin that extends existing application UI

Regards,
Vojtech