[Engine-devel] ovirt-engine build segfault on Fedora 20

Greg Sheremeta gshereme at redhat.com
Fri Jan 3 02:53:33 UTC 2014

Caution on upgrading your dev machine to Fedora 20. GWT compilation of "safari" (for Chrome) causes a segfault during the build. Strangely, the build appears to work, so I'm not sure what the net effect of the segfault is.

If you only compile for gecko (Firefox) [the default], you won't see the segfault.

In other words,
make clean install-dev PREFIX=$HOME/ovirt-engine DEV_EXTRA_BUILD_FLAGS_GWT_DEFAULTS="-Dgwt.userAgent=gecko1_8,safari"
causes the segfault

But
make install-dev PREFIX="$HOME/ovirt-engine"
works just fine.

I've duplicated this with with both OpenJDK and Oracle JDK.

If you'd like to duplicate, simple install a fresh F20 VM, and then run these commands:
    1  sudo yum install nano
    2  sudo nano /etc/hostname   #set the hostname
    3  sudo nano /etc/hosts      #set the hostname
    5  sudo yum install http://ovirt.org/releases/ovirt-release-fedora.noarch.rpm
    6  sudo yum install git java-devel maven openssl postgresql-server     m2crypto python-psycopg2 python-cheetah python-daemon libxml2-python     jboss-as unzip otopi
    7  mkdir projects
    8  cd projects/
    9  git clone git://gerrit.ovirt.org/ovirt-engine
   10  cd ovirt-engine/
   11  make install-dev PREFIX="$HOME/ovirt-engine"

Greg Sheremeta
Red Hat, Inc.
Sr. Software Engineer, RHEV
Cell: 919-807-1086