[Engine-devel] About oVirt support storage ?

Ayal Baron abaron at redhat.com
Wed Jan 15 12:02:46 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> Hi, All
> I know about Openstack can support many kind of storage, it's cinder
> component can support storage like IBM, HP, DELL, and can get all support
> list from :https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/CinderSupportMatrix
> and Openstack have many driver can use for connect Block Storage.
> How about oVirt storage support ? There are any document can list oVirt
> support storage ?

Cinder has that list because it is *limited* to these types of storage.  For each one of these to work with cinder it has to have a cinder driver (code specifically written to manage the storage out of bound).
oVirt does not manage the storage itself (for better or worse) so it supports anything that exposes LUNs (iSCSI, FC, etc) or mountable file systems (NFS, Gluster, etc).
There are a few limitations though:
1. storage must support direct I/O (for VM workloads this is always true, not just for oVirt)
2. if to connect you need something beyond mount / iscsi software connection then you'd have to handle that yourself.  e.g. setting up an FCoE software initiator would have to be done manually.