[Engine-devel] Fast Forward or Rebase if necessary policies

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Thu Jan 16 20:16:15 UTC 2014

Today we use the 'fast forward only' policy in gerrit.

It seems the 'rebase if necessary' policy may reduce some overhead, as
it will solve trivial rebases before the merge (it will fail on any
conflict, or any change to same file, even if no conflict).

I'm suggesting moving to try and move to 'rebase if necessary' for
ovirt-engine repo, and see if we think we are facing issues, or just
enjoying the benefits of not having to click merge, fail, rebase,
review+merge again.

the one caveat i can think of is if the patch is old, it should probably
be rebased for the various jenkins jobs to run on it again, but I think
for most patches that's not the case.

(vdsm is using an even less strict policy of cherry-pick)

thoughts?

Thanks,
    Itamar