github mirroring

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Mon Dec 12 15:50:45 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 07:35:37AM -0800, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:

> On 12/10/2011 03:41 AM, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 10:54:05AM +0200, Itamar Heim wrote:
> >> I've added mirroring to github from gerrit git repos
> >> https://github.com/gerrit-ovirt-org
> >>
> >> only enabled for ovirt-engine for now to allow people to comment
> >>  before i enable all repos:
> >> https://github.com/gerrit-ovirt-org/ovirt-engine
> >
> > What is the motivation of this mirror? Backup? It is not clear from
> >  github that it is only a mirror, not a competing fork.
>
> I think the motivation is to make it easy for people to use a favorite
> method for cloning/forking.

Some people like github, some prefer gitorious, other would like a
git-to-mercurial front-end. If someone wants to maintain such a mirror, let him.
I don't see why I should be involved. But I suppose you know better than me how
to grow a community.

> By maintaining the official mirror, I
> reckon we make it easier to take patches back in to the main tree.

I do not see how - currently we disable pushing stuff into git below gerrit.
Whatever posted on a remote branch would have to enter and be reviewed by
gerrit.