Gerrit, Jenkins solutions

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Thu Oct 6 09:36:40 UTC 2011

On 10/06/2011 10:38 AM, Karsten Wade wrote:
> Sorry I haven't been talking much about this here, but there have been
> discussions going in the back-channel around what we need to do for
> putting up Gerrit and Jenkins.
>
> Why all the fast moves? I think the point is to be nimble, do what we
> know to do, and make things as breakable, fixable, and replaceable as
> we can. We're getting things going in record time, as we need to be
> that way for now.[0]
>
> We'll have some breathing time mid-November to rethink how we are
> approaching infrastructure. We have to recognize that many people come
> to this community, and we want an infrastructure that is welcoming to
> them. For example, I'm hoping more infrastructure and services will
> come from some of the strategic companies involved, just as I hope to
> see more from Red Hat IT.
>
> So the back-channel discussions we've had so far settle on us using a
> few VM images on EC2. Red Hat is providing these, we'll load them with
> RHEL 6 + EPEL, and we'll go in to trim and harden along the lines of
> the community services infrastructure[1] (CSI) I'd like us to work
> with. Volunteers?
>
> We'll need to work out the configuration details for Gerrit and
> Jenkins. They are both new to me, but I'm not afraid. :) So ... what
> should the architecture of these look like?
>
> I'm thinking we have two instances:
>
> * jenkins.ovirt.org - a low-running, very tight image that can scale
>    to great heights when crunching tests. I'm not going to push an app
>    server here - small is good, I presume, but I wouldn't mind learning
>    an EE6 platform, such as JBoss AS 7. :) Still, that's our own
>    overhead we manage ...

from our experience we will need multiple machines set up as jenkins
slaves to run the expected workload.
jenkins has a plugin to stop/start the instances in EC2 per required
load (didn't test how good it is yet)
https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Amazon+EC2+Plugin

> * gerrit.ovirt.org git.ovirt.org - trimmed as a web server. It doesn't
>    need a database, right? git.ovirt.org is just an alias.

we are using a lightly forked version today for improved emails to patch
mailing list until our patches are accepted (hopefully) in gerrit upstream.
the change allows patches in the mailing list to contain the patch
comments inline like in regular patch reviews.