framework for new ovirt.org, plus new website tree

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sun Sep 11 22:16:38 UTC 2011

On Thursday 08 Sep I talked with Carl for a while about what pages and
sub-pages we thought the new website should have. Our tree is below.

I've been working on picking a method to hold the site. It can be
static pages for now, with /wiki for sub-projects to do documentation,
etc. It only needs to get us through the next few months, until we can
get a few more of us organized from within the open community to pick
a framework we want to support.

Some of the sites we looked at for inspiration included
http://eclipse.org and http://aeolusproject.org.

The latter has a nice, clean look that loads fast. I looked at the
source (up on github) and contacted Justin Clift, the Aeolus community
manager. It turns out to be built using 'webby', a
no-longer-maintained framework that uses hand-coded light-markup pages
to generate the site.

I want the non-coders to be able to update information. Also, my
experience is that coders prefer "click webpage and edit" over "git
pull, edit, git push" when it comes to content. I don't want myself
and/or this infrastructure team to be the gateway to getting content
updated, even for the relatively static portions of the site.

Another idea I had was to use OpenShift Express to setup the staging
instance, using the Wordpress and MediaWiki configurations they
have. I wasn't quite able to make it work, may have some pointers for
the OpenShift folks :), but the real show-stopper was that I could
only do one of the installs - either Wordpress or MediaWiki - in
OpenShift Express, not both together.

Rather than move up to OpenShift Flex to do what-I-want, I decided to
do a manual install and configuration on the lists.ovirt.org VM. I'm
not adverse to moving that configuration to OpenShift Flex or another
managed VM in the future, I just wanted maximum control and I'm
already paying for that host without using all of it's potential.

So far, I've setup Wordpress using the EL6 package without having to
change very much from the default (no files moved, just tweaked the
httpd configuration.) Now I'm working on giving it a theme we can live
with, wedging in an oVirt logo, and then framing out the content pages
as per below.

In addition, I've setup Apache access control for Wordpress, and will
do the same for MediaWiki, with a shared user/pass for ease of showing
around the content privately pre-launch:

http://lists.ovirt.org
Username: ovirtstaging
Password: 1zGn48XEZPHFe

(By the time this mailing list's archives are public, that user/pass
will be obsolete.)

I'll be putting the configuration details in a file in /root as well
as hiding appropriate passwords for Wordpress, MediaWiki, and MySQL in
/root. (When the wiki is running, I'll be putting the configuration
details minus the passwords on the wiki in a page within
[[Category:Infrastructure]].)

- Karsten

<webtree>
8. Web page tree
   * Front page content for oVirt.org:
     o layout like eclipse.org
     o Landing page (index page)
       + key messages
         # Complete and Comprehensive Open Source
	   Infrastructure and Virtualization Management Platform for the
   	   DataCenter ... or for anyone that cares about virtualization
           * A feature-rich server
   	     virtualization management system that provides advanced
   	     capabilities for hosts and guests, including high
	     availability, live migration, storage management, system
	     scheduler, and more
         # By open we mean open source & open governance, done right
         # OVirt is an umbrella for multiple sub-projects delivering a
	   complete integrated platform on a well defined release
	   schedule
	 # Provides venue for user and developer cooperation
         # Is the first truly open and comprehensive virtualization
	   management initiative
       + advert to workshop
         # llink to event page
           * PDF.
           * agenda
     o Nav with links to
       + Home (index page)
         # What the project is about
         # news (box) -- workshop info
         # events (box)
           * Workshops etc. (+ archives)
       + Get oVirt
         # downloads
         # links to user docs
       + Community
         # User forums
         # User info
         # IRC (project communication matrix)
         # Maintainers
         # Contributors
         # user lists
         # link to project matrix
         # link to wiki & how to add info to wikis
       + news / events
       + resources
         # (copy the eclipse concept of resources)
       + Governance
         # becoming a maintainer
           * https://docs.google.com/document/d/17ELNKHyfpLEsUvlrhFn0jTqH_TUYzhwTPIUTiJw43KY/edit
         # voting
           * https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ePAaiEMTJf5U99BXLLu2GStcrIXGNxA075OHbDnM-Zc/edit
         # adding a subproject to oVirt
           * https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LJxRJJWgSAR80vaLdFehVV_ZcylKRbl2ZVT9765GH2E/edit
         # Releases and release management
         # Subproject requirements (to be a subproject)
         # licensing
       + subproject matrix -- something like
       	 http://www.jboss.org/projects/matrix (with a contributors
	 column)
         # Sub-project pages
         # Info/about
         # Contributors
         # Download
         # Documentation (wiki category)
         # Get and use code
         # wiki
       + sponsors & supporters
       + about
</webtree>
team:   Red Hat Community Architecture & Leadership
uri:             http://communityleadershipteam.org
                        http://TheOpenSourceWay.org