How to go about building up trust?

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Fri Jun 22 12:45:09 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 05:00:31PM -0400, Robert Middleswarth wrote:
> Sorry I forgot to include the subject line?
>
> On 06/21/2012 04:57 PM, Robert Middleswarth wrote:
> >A few months ago It was asked on infra@ about how the group should
> >go about building up trust so you all would feel comfortable
> >handing out e.g. ssh and sudo access to servers. Since there is
> >someone activity (me) asking seeking to help and would need that
> >access I guess this is a good time to bring up the question again.

I am not aware of any other trick beyond building up reputation. Your
personal involvement in the project goes a long way to prove that you
indeed care for it.

However, I do not know to quantify how much reputation would one need to
get a root access, a permission that is very easy to abuse and very hard
to take away.

Another important issue beyond trust is NEED. Do you really need full su
access? I personally do not have such an access, and have to ask
for every little host tweak specifically.

Dan.