Events visualization via timeline

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Tue Mar 20 09:32:39 UTC 2012

Hi,

we from the OSAS team side want to develop ways to better visualize activity of a project so that
people that come to the web page directly see activity and can start exploring.
For this purpose I started to set up a simile timeline[1]  on ovirt.org at [2] (this is not yet
integrated into any user reachable page).

In order to continue, I need to add a post-receive hook to the git repos, that is creating a file, which
is basically a atom-feed of the commits, which then needs to be copied over to linode01 into
the timeline directory, so that browsers will read the timeline and the data from the very same source
(to not violate the same origin policy).
Those atom feeds could also be offered in the activity page instead of the ones created by gerrit/gitweb
on demand, which should nicely reduce the load on the gerrit box and increase the the responsiveness
of those feeds.
Another addition to the time line would be a calendar to show events (see other mail).

   Heiko

[1] http://www.simile-widgets.org/timeline/
[2] http://www.ovirt.org/tl/
--
Reg. Adresse: Red Hat GmbH, Technopark II, Haus C,
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 14, D-85630 Grasbrunn