Events visualization via timeline

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Tue Mar 20 16:20:38 UTC 2012

On 03/20/2012 11:32 AM, Heiko W.Rupp wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we from the OSAS team side want to develop ways to better visualize activity of a project so that
> people that come to the web page directly see activity and can start exploring.
> For this purpose I started to set up a simile timeline[1]  on ovirt.org at [2] (this is not yet
> integrated into any user reachable page).
>
> In order to continue, I need to add a post-receive hook to the git repos, that is creating a file, which
> is basically a atom-feed of the commits, which then needs to be copied over to linode01 into
> the timeline directory, so that browsers will read the timeline and the data from the very same source
> (to not violate the same origin policy).
> Those atom feeds could also be offered in the activity page instead of the ones created by gerrit/gitweb
> on demand, which should nicely reduce the load on the gerrit box and increase the the responsiveness
> of those feeds.
> Another addition to the time line would be a calendar to show events (see other mail).

is there another way (say, monitor this from the github mirrors)?
i generally prefer to not tailor commit hooks inside the gerrit git
instance to not make upgrades more complex (this is why we are waiting
on better email messages until this will be done via code, rather than
hook as well).
we may need to use hooks, but question is can we avoid them when possible.