Outage Update - www.ovirt.org and gerrit.ovirt.org

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Mar 27 18:48:38 UTC 2012

On 03/27/2012 02:13 AM, Eyal Edri wrote:

>> Well, it was suggested on jenkins mailing lists and irc channel
>> as a good quick solution for monitoring system jobs. It has
>> numerous plugins that can suit all sorts of administration
>> tasks.

Worth thinking about, especially if the project continues using
Jenkins, then we keep our expertises in the same area.

>> Jenkins has an option of monitoring an external job (like cron
>> jobs) [1], so that can be used also. also, found this interesting
>>  blog about using jenkins for system tasks [2].
>
>> Can't say if using jenkins is better than having a nagios/cacti
>> or any other monitoring service, i guess it should be considered
>> as one more option to solve the monitoring problem.
>
>> IMO i don't think puppet is a replacement for nagios/monitoring,
>>  it's more a tool to make sure all your severs are aligned to
>> your needs (rpms/repos/services running,etc...).

Right, I was making a comparison in terms of what Puppet does for
configuration, Jenkins could do for monitoring system tasks. That of
course is all separate from what Nagios does for monitoring uptime of
systems and services. Three separate roles.

- - Karsten

[2] http://morgajel.net/2011/12/12/1108