oVirt Forum Pilot

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sat May 12 03:38:15 UTC 2012

On 05/11/2012 05:43 AM, Barry Kostjens wrote:
> Any more opinions on this?

Some thoughts, maybe opinions. :)

Aside from the usual "we will need moderators", there would be a need
to manage mailing list interaction if it's not automatic. Someone
would need to carry over threads to the mailing list to get the
attention of an answerer (to join or notice the forum thread,) or just
get the answer and carry it back over to the forum.

I think you are correct in that a project with a web forum interface
is attractive to users who prefer forums (and there are lots of them);
answers are easier to find; and other good benefits. Thanks for
standing up and being willing to make this happen.

I think it's important for oVirt forums to be on the *.ovirt.org
domain. We can accomplish this technically under your suggestion, with
a server you (and others?) run at e.g. forums.ovirt.org. Doing that
could be really cool. Part of that commitment would be in working with
the Infrastructure team here. We want to all share expertise and
skills to create web services for oVirt that are safe, secure, and
easy to use.

One other thing to consider is waiting for the web interface
improvements to Mailman. That let's us build on our existing systems
and doesn't risk attention split and confusion. However, it means
waiting until we can at least run the beta code from Mailman.

There are going to be a bunch of improvements to Mailman that are
going to provide a true web front-end for it. You can see Máirín's
design thoughts in these posts[1]:

http://blog.linuxgrrl.com/2012/03/13/mailman-brainstorm/
http://blog.linuxgrrl.com/2012/03/14/mailman-brainstorm-2/

Some of that work is going to happen over this summer in a Google
Summer of Code project, and some will happen alongside/beyond that. If
we're interested, I know the GSoC mentors and maybe we can arrange to
be direct participants in using the new code as it's being built.

- - Karsten

[1] Entire category: