networking functional tests

Giuseppe Vallarelli gvallare at redhat.com
Wed Aug 21 15:01:06 UTC 2013

Hello everybody!

I've been playing a bit with the Jenkins job for the networking functional tests.
Using rhev64 I've noticed a problem when reading the speed of the nics in the
vdsm logs, an IOError due the the speed file (the kernel msg was invalid argument)
the same problem doesn't manifest when using one of the available hosts here in the lab.
I've tried using fedora19 instead and there I need sudo privileges due to the nature
of the workflow and the functional networking tests:

Steps in the build:

* checkout the specified refspec
* build and install the vdsm package
* start vdsm (requires sudo)
* moving to the tests folder
* running the tests:
  In the test module there's the assumption of having sudo privileges for:
  * modprobing the dummy module
  * create and remove dummy interfaces (with ip)
  * run the service vdsm-restore-net-config
* cleanup/halting vdsm/vdsm disposal (requires sudo)

In the tests we're making use of ValidateRunningAsRoot decoration, you can
guess the purpose.
I need the sudo privileges in order to run those tests - I know it's not safe
and probably not the best solution but at the moment tests are not running
in an automated way (i.e. per patchset). We can probably discuss and decide
of better approaches.

Thanks Giuseppe