Moving to new infra vendor for the oVirt project

Eyal Edri eedri at redhat.com
Thu Dec 19 06:43:16 UTC 2013

Hi,

Due to some technical difficulties and current experience we have decide to switch hosting provider for the oVirt project,
to host mostly the Jenkins infra (jenkins slave mostly), but potentially alterway servers as well (for production servers).

I would like to hear your thoughts about which servers and HW requirements we need for the infra.

The proposed infra layout:
===========================
1. ovirt-engine 3.3.x stable manager to run on a VM[1]
2. 3 bare-metal servers to serve as hypervisors for jenkins slaves and nested vms for automation tests. [2]
   we'll expect to run at least 4 VMs on each hypervisor for various jenkins slaves, and have the ability to take one host for maintanance w/o affecting the
   infra downtime too much.
3. external storage for a storage domain (NFS or ISCSI) and backups for all oVirt services. [3]
4. possibly manage alterway servers on the same ovirt-engine instance if performance won't decline.
   (we can request for a european datacenter if that will reduce latency).
   we might want to install another foreman-proxy on that DC to allow installing VMs locally.
   we will want to migrate the jenkins server which is hosted on bare-metal now on alterway to a VM as well.
5. fast network connection [4]

We need to decide on the optimal hardware for this infrastructure, going forward with the oVirt project expanding
and needing more resources.

an initial estimation for the hardware: (feel free to pitch in and propose/change)
=======================================
[1] engine VM should have 16GB RAM and 200GB disk, i'm not sure about which CPU will be optimal yet - thoughts?
[2] bare metal hosts should have 48GB ram (with option to expand to 96 if needed), no need for too much HD space if we're
    going to use external storage servers. available servers are: http://www.softlayer.com/dedicated-servers/dual-processor-servers
[3] 2TB NAS or Iscsi storage for hosting backups and storage domain for all the VMs
[4] they offer public bandwitch of 5000GB, and a choise of uplink speeds - 100mbps for public and private network for no-extra charge
    or 1GBPS uplink for extra cost.

** current infra on RAX **

our current infra on RAX includes: (generally was OK, but not great performance, low of storage, and slow since we uses local storage)
3 RAX is DELL PowerEdge R720, with specs:

 32 GB DELL RAM, GB Memory: 32
 Single Socket Six Core Intel Xeon E5-2640 2.5GHz, #Processors: 1, #Cores per Proc: 6
 Hard Drive 100GB-2TB (only one server with 2TB, others have 100/300 GB) SAS 7.2K RPM Drive, HDD RPM: 7200, GB Hard Drive: 2048
 1GB network.

please weigh in your input asap, so we can push forward with migrating to the new infra,

Eyal.