Moving to new infra vendor for the oVirt project

Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden ewoud+ovirt at kohlvanwijngaarden.nl
Thu Dec 19 14:22:18 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 01:43:16AM -0500, Eyal Edri wrote:
> Due to some technical difficulties and current experience we have decide to switch hosting provider for the oVirt project,
> to host mostly the Jenkins infra (jenkins slave mostly), but potentially alterway servers as well (for production servers).
>
> I would like to hear your thoughts about which servers and HW requirements we need for the infra.
>
> The proposed infra layout:
> ===========================
> 1. ovirt-engine 3.3.x stable manager to run on a VM[1]
> 2. 3 bare-metal servers to serve as hypervisors for jenkins slaves and nested vms for automation tests. [2]
>    we'll expect to run at least 4 VMs on each hypervisor for various jenkins slaves, and have the ability to take one host for maintanance w/o affecting the
>    infra downtime too much.
> 3. external storage for a storage domain (NFS or ISCSI) and backups for all oVirt services. [3]
> 4. possibly manage alterway servers on the same ovirt-engine instance if performance won't decline.
>    (we can request for a european datacenter if that will reduce latency).
>    we might want to install another foreman-proxy on that DC to allow installing VMs locally.
>    we will want to migrate the jenkins server which is hosted on bare-metal now on alterway to a VM as well.
> 5. fast network connection [4]
>
> We need to decide on the optimal hardware for this infrastructure, going forward with the oVirt project expanding
> and needing more resources.
>
> an initial estimation for the hardware: (feel free to pitch in and propose/change)
> =======================================
> [1] engine VM should have 16GB RAM and 200GB disk, i'm not sure about which CPU will be optimal yet - thoughts?
> [2] bare metal hosts should have 48GB ram (with option to expand to 96 if needed), no need for too much HD space if we're
>     going to use external storage servers. available servers are: http://www.softlayer.com/dedicated-servers/dual-processor-servers
> [3] 2TB NAS or Iscsi storage for hosting backups and storage domain for all the VMs
> [4] they offer public bandwitch of 5000GB, and a choise of uplink speeds - 100mbps for public and private network for no-extra charge
>     or 1GBPS uplink for extra cost.

I'd prefer to start with 96GB RAM. You can never have enough RAM ;)
I think that 4 slaves per hypervisor isn't all that much given we also
want to start supporting multiple operating systems.

Let's say we have Fedora, EL and Ubuntu. For each we support 1 or 2
releases (F19, F20, EL5, EL6, Ubuntu latest LTS) that's already 5
distros. With 2 slaves per distro, that's 10 slaves. Then we also
sometimes want to start supporting a beta (F21, EL7, Ubuntu next LTS).

More RAM can also lower the requirement on storage because of caching.

Network wise I may be spoiled, but at $work it's all 1G and more and
more 10G so I'd prefer 1G. That said, I don't know the extra cost. It
will also depend on if we want to put resources.ovirt.org there. Maybe
we can get more community support by setting up a mirrorlist and lower
the requirement.

That said, +1 to moving. I'm suprised it was this hard to get things
going at Rackspace.