virt functional tests and testing improvements

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Sun Oct 6 09:29:44 UTC 2013

On Sat, Oct 05, 2013 at 08:55:42AM -0400, Antoni Segura Puimedon wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> We are readying the way to run the virt functional tests as a jenkins job. In
> order to achieve that, we'd like to be able to reboot one of the hosts holding
> the jenkins slave VMs so that the setting "option kvm_intel nested=1" (This
> is required because virt functional tests spawn a few VMs). It would also be
> necessary to have a vdsm hook for the VM creation that puts the vmx capability
> on the guests XML.

I vote in favor of this suggestion since we urgently need to know if and
when vm startup is broken. Thanks for this initiative.

However, we should all remember that nested=1 is not yet of enterprise
quality. If we set it, and then see instability introduced to our host,
we should reset it and walk the less aggressive path of using
faqemu-like hook on the host, running our tested guest in emulation.