Puppet modules organization

David Caro dcaroest at redhat.com
Tue Jun 17 09:36:35 UTC 2014

Hi everyone!

I'm starting a thread to discuss the puppet modules organization.

There are two proposed ways of organizing them:

1.- Using a unique module named ovirt_infra
2.- Using multiple modules, named ovirt_*

Feel free to propose other alternatives, the main points for each one are:

1.- Everything inside one module, easy to find
1.- Easy to add a new class, just create the file
1.- Easy to create hard to maintain code
1.- Easy to create very interdependent code

2.- Enforces modularization of the different code (one module, one task), that
brings
2.- Easier to test
2.- Safe to reuse
2.- More organized (not everything in the same place)
2.- It's the most common way of organizing puppet manifests, so the main
guidelines, patterns and most of the documentation expects this way of working.

Please send your comments and if too many I'll open a pad with the them for easy
review.

I vote for #2, modularized organization.

--
David Caro

Red Hat S.L.

Email: dcaro at redhat.com