Package building and build process

David Caro dcaroest at redhat.com
Mon May 5 15:39:53 UTC 2014

Hi!

Lately we had some issues when trying to build some of the projects, and we
wanted to start a discussion to clarify what do we want and how to get there.

We can split the thread if it gets too large for all the subjects.

The main points to discuss:

* How the source tarballs should be built
  · Should we use a jenkins job for it, so the maintainer just downloads the
    tarball from it
  · Should we force the maintainer to build it and supply the tarball himself
  · Should we allow both

* Separate source release from binary release

* Which tools to use to build the rpms
  · plain rpmbuild
  · Mock
  · Docker
  · copr
  · Open Build System
  · koji

* How to organize the rpm/tar build jobs
  · One job for all the projects
  · One job per-project

PD. Opened an etherpad to keep the points
http://etherpad.ovirt.org/p/build_discussion
--
David Caro

Red Hat S.L.