Moving the wiki

Barak Korren bkorren at redhat.com
Mon Oct 20 15:05:57 UTC 2014

There has been some talk recently about moving the ovirt.org wiki to a dedicated VM in the PHX data-center.
I would like to open this up to some discussion.
Here is the current situation as far as I could gather, more info and comment are welcome.

What do we have now
-------------------
MediaWiki (Which version? eedri told me its a rather old one)
PHP (Which version?)
MySQL 5.1
All running in a single (?) 'large' OpenShift gear.
Our OpenShift account is classified as 'silver' (is it?) thereby granting us gears with 6GB storage instead
of 1GB)

Why do we want to migrate?
--------------------------
We occasionally have a problem where the site goes down. This seems to be caused by one of:
1. The OpenShift gear runs out of space
2. The MySQL DB gets stuck with no errors in the logs (Does restarting it resolve it?)

Why not to migrate?
-------------------
1. Migrating the wiki to PHX VM will make the infra team have to manage the wiki hosting infrastructure.
   While one may claim that this is not complicated and that this work needs to also be done when the wiki
   is hosted on OpenShift, there are still many things that the OpenShift maintainers do for us such as:
   - Keeping the webservers updated
   - Managing selinux
   - Enablign automatic scale-up

2. There are security concerns with having a public-facing (outdated?) PHP application running on a VM in
   the same network where our build and CI servers run. (I might be too paranoid here, having had one of my
   own sites defaced recently, but OpenShift makes it easy to create a new gear and git push the code to
   get back up and running, with our own VM, forensics and cleanup might be more complicated)

Known infra issues with existing configuration
1. The MySQL DB was setup without 'innodb_file_per_table' turned on, this can impact DB performance. To
   resolve this, one need to dump and import the entire DB.

Things we can try (Besides migrating)
-------------------------------------
1. Place ovirt.org behind a caching reverse-proxy CDN like cloudflare, that can mask some of our downtime.
2. Dump and import the DB to rebuild and optimize the DB files
3. Rebuild the wiki in a new gear to get rid of possibly accumulating cruft
4. Upgrade the MySQL to 5.5 (Or whatever latest supported by OpenShift)
5. Upgrade MediaWiki
6. Add a redundant MySQL/Wiki server using MySQL replication
7. Trim the wiki history (AFAIK MediaWiki saves every edit ever, but one can maybe use export/import to get
   rid of some)
8. Try to come up with a way to spread the Wiki across multiple OpenShift gears
9. Tune DB parameters (is it possible to do on OpenShift?)

I eagerly await your comments,
Regards,
Barak.