Actively triggering of CI jobs

Amit Aviram aaviram at redhat.com
Tue Dec 8 15:05:20 UTC 2015

Hi all.
I wanted to bring up something that might make our work with CI a bit more
efficient.
As developers, we obviously use Jenkins in every step we are taking in the
developing process. Each patch that is pushed- or at least a big amount of
our patches- triggers Jenkins jobs automatically.
I can say that for myself, most of my push actions do not require any CI
jobs to run. Thus reviewing and updating patches include work that triggers
tons of redundant jobs that make the system slow for the jobs that are
actually needed..

I was thinking, maybe it would be better if we will explicitly require to
run the CI jobs when we push patches.. then only when the developer will
need the job's feedback it will be activated. no redundant jobs will run,
and we will wait much less for the jobs to finish when we will actually
need them.

Is that possible for implementation?

Thanks, Amit.