Bounce on users lists

Michael Scherer mscherer at redhat.com
Fri Jan 16 08:18:25 UTC 2015

Le vendredi 16 janvier 2015 à 08:23 +0100, Sandro Bonazzola a écrit :
> Il 15/01/2015 18:31, Michael Scherer ha scritto:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Itamar, by the proxy of Brian, did asked me to look on the bounce issue
> > we have on the users lists. So after a few hours of careful log reading,
> > here is my finding.
> >
> > The bounce situation
> > bad(tm), and bounces are annoying.
> >

> > Investigation
> > -------------
> >
> > A first look show that our mails are bounced as they are marked as spam
> > by Google. Google doc on the matter do not give much, some people point
> > to using dkim, spf, etc. But spf is not for us, but for the sender, and
> > dkim is not ml friendly, afaik, and requires upstream support if I
> > understood well.
> >
> > Not all mails are bounced, which is good. That mean the ip is not
> > problematic.
> >
> > So I took a few hours to look on every bounce and roughly, there is 2
> > groups.
> >
> > Group 1
> > --------
> >
> > First group is that all mail from the same poster on the users list have
> > bounced at Google. Out of the 16 mail he sent, 16 have been rejected by
> > Google. I have no idea why, I suspect the spf policy, but it did looked
> > ok. None of the mail of answer had a issue, so that's likely not a
> > content problem.
> >
> > However, the ip address of the sender is in the SORBS blacklist, so
> > that's likely what trigger Google spam filter.
> >
> > Not much we can do, besides contacting him, which I will do.
> >
> > Group 2
> > --------
> > Roughly, that's mail in this thread :
> > http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2015-January/030494.html
> >
> > and the mails from Sandro :
> > http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2015-January/030420.html
> > http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2015-January/030423.html
> >
> > Common point, use of goo.gl and ur1.ca. It turn out that both domain are
> > flagged as URI spam, since that's used by spammer to hide their link. So
> > I suspect that Gmail started to "learn" about them as spam, as the rest
> > of the world did :
> > http://multirbl.valli.org/lookup/ur1.ca.html
> > http://multirbl.valli.org/lookup/goo.gl.html
> >
> > Again, not much we can do, besides asking to people to not use these
> > services ( which is not gonna work I think ).
>
> I may try to use bit.ly red.ht instead of goo.gl.
> Can we provide our own url shortener on ovirt.org? That should avoid blacklisting.

I do not think bit.ly is gonna change much. It is likely abused for the
same reason by the same people. And the url are too complicated to be
sent sometime, so we cannot just avoid them at all.

I also pondered about adding a url shortener on ovirt.org. Besides the
load on admin team it create, I think it would have the same issue as
the others after some time, and so we would need to add some
authentication, which start to make thing a bit complicated.

--
Michael Scherer
Open Source and Standards, Sysadmin