Upstream repo request

Ryan Barry rbarry at redhat.com
Fri Mar 6 14:19:06 UTC 2015

On 03/06/2015 02:55 AM, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 05, 2015 at 08:41:24AM -0700, Ryan Barry wrote:
>>

>> I forgot dcaro was on PTO this week...
>>
>> My feature for the hackathon is done, but it's living on github, which
>> isn't suitable.
>>
>> Can I get a repo on upstream Gerrit for me? ovirt-node-dbus-backend
>> would be ideal.
>
> Are you suggesting a new ovirt project?
> Could you please describe it a bit? What feature request does it
> fulfill? Can you share the link to your github project, so interested
> parties can review it?

Not a new ovirt project, just another component for oVirt Node.

As part of the plan for next-generation Node, we're trying to make the
code, repositories, and packaging less monolithic. Two of the bugs for
the hackathon this week 1191419 (splitting the packaging for ovirt-node
into components) and this one, 1191962 (providing dbus interoperability
for the current configuration API) are related.

The goal is for next-generation Node to drop the current TUI and handle
configuration and interaction through Cockpit. As part of this, we're
hoping to use Dbus for configuration as much as possible. Using our own
code where nobody else handles it and moving to other components
(storaged, networkmanager, etc) where possible, to lower our maintenance
burden.

In order to make our current configuration code available over Dbus, we
need a separate daemon which is capable of introspecting and publishing
the relevant classes. This is not tightly coupled to oVirt Node's
current code, and the ovirt-node repository doesn't feel like a suitable
place to put it. It's related, but not the same, much in the same way as
the current ovirt-node-plugin-* repositories currently are.

The code is currently at:
http://github.com/evol262/node-cockpit

It comprises a basic systemd service file, a Dbus policy to allow it to
run on the system bus, packaging, testing instructions, and the actual
python which drives the service.