[ovirt-devel] gerrit jenkins bot has gotten noisier

David Caro dcaroest at redhat.com
Thu Mar 26 09:55:16 UTC 2015

On 03/26, Michal Skrivanek wrote:

> On 25 Mar 2015, at 13:58, David Caro <dcaroest at redhat.com> wrote:
>

> > This was done because it was requested some time ago.
> >
> > That will also remind devels that they should not merge any patches that have
> > not finished running the jenkins jobs yet.
> >
> > In a (hopefully) near future, that will not be needed as jobs will become a
> > gateway to merge, meaning that the regular merge flow will require passing the
> > jenkins jobs.
>
> I would strongly object to this, until we have a positive experience of no false positives for at least couple of months.
> Then it is a great idea.

That's like expecting that every patch sent for review to pass all the tests,
all the time for a month and not failing once, and I don't mean each MERGED
patch, I mean each one sent for review.

Just so you have some numbers on what you are currently asking for, some stats
about builds for the last two weeks:

Number of SUCCESS builds:    50061
Number of FAILED builds:      1777
Number of UNSTABLE builds:     749
Number of ABORTED builds:      124
Number of NOTBUILT builds:     326
Total number of builds:      53037
Percentage of failed builds:     5.61%

Here, failed builds includes infra issues and test failures, we don't have
means yet to properly distinguish both.
I know this is including all the projects, not just the most 'complicated'
ones, but that means that, on small projects, where the maintainer of the
project is also writing it's own acceptance tests, the failure ratio is a lot
lower than on the bigger projects, where the failures are ignored and the tests
not maintained, or left for the lonely infra guy that has ~50% of it's time to
handle them all, doing a quick ugly calculation, that guy has 48 seconds to
review each failure and fix it (being it an infra issue or not).

So you expect that someone that has no involvement on the development of most
of the projects, single-handedly fix and triage all those builds, 48 seconds
each, and also care about all the other infra-related duties. And not only
succeed doing that, but maintain all the system from failing once during two
months.

I'm sorry but as I see it a lot has to change for that to be feasible, and I
really don't think it's fair to request it to that 1/2 guy.