your patch https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/40346/ broke oVirt vdsm jobs

Max Kovgan mkovgan at redhat.com
Mon May 4 22:06:41 UTC 2015

hi, Dan.
makes sense to me to focus on 2 use cases:
 - pre-commit hook running everything jenkins is running - locally
   - pros:
     - nearly identical checks/tests jenkins would running
     - doesn't care about IDE/editor
   - cons:
     - slower
     - can be annoying to commit (locally) broken code for later squashing

 - editor/IDE marriage with tests/checks running
   - pros:
     - dev has full control over what runs in checks/tests
     - allows to commit "dirty" commit
     - shorter ==> quicker than the quickest jenkins option
   - cons:
     - depends on IDE/editor support
     - less checks/tests => higher risk

I did both with: intelliJ/PyCharm and vim, almost 100% sure PyDev allows this.

either allows ease of running tests - in 1st case upon git commit, in the
latter - via a button/shortcut in the devtool.
I can help with setting up either to an early adopter.
Then give it a week or two to get some feedback later how well it goes.

Besides, we're also trying to speedup jenkins response all the time

WDYT?

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 10:57:14PM +0100, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 11:16:37AM -0400, Barak Korren wrote:
> > Patch does not pass pyflakes:
> >
> > ./tests/samplingTests.py:30: 'libvirtconnection' imported but unused
> > ./tests/samplingTests.py:36: 'MonkeyPatch' imported but unused
> > make: *** [pyflakes] Error 1
> >
> > You could clearly see that the tests did not pass for patchset #6
> > Please do not merge patches with failing tests!
>
> Barak, thanks for reporting this mistake of ours.
> https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/40408/ would fix it momentarily.
>
> I believe that it stems from two reasons:
> - Ido did not run `make check` or `make pyflakes` before ticking
>   "verified" on the patch
> - I failed to wait for the jenkins job to finish.
>
> To make sure that this does not repeat I should avoid merging
> freshly-posted patches. Ido should take better care for pep8 and
> pyflakes. I have vim plugins that help me avoid such mistakes
> I hear that http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=4440 is
> better than what I actually have.
>
> Regards,
> Dan.