mirrors monitoring tools

Nadav Goldin ngoldin at redhat.com
Tue Oct 6 15:18:27 UTC 2015

Hi,
I've been reviewing 3 solutions suggested for monitoring oVirt's mirror
sites: mirmon(used by CentOS), Debian Mirror Checker, MirrorManager(used by
Fedora). I've put what I gathered so far here(google docs)
<https://docs.google.com/a/redhat.com/document/d/1NErdN07kSLZQ_ystxsp9-6Fwq_6zhZMF8VxKO3w2oys/edit?usp=sharing>
.

imo, there are 2 main problems:
1. monitoring that the mirrors are up and synced( logs and http access)
2. updating the mirrorlist(../yum-repo/mirrorlist) file automatically when
a mirror site is not synced after X amount of time.

so far installing only mirmon, it seems like the simpler tool that can
address problem 1 easily, in order to handle problem 2 another script that
filters the log file needs to be written.
MirrorManager needs further inspection(has many other features which I am
not sure if we need?)
and Debian Mirror Checker, i think, is not worth it(incomplete docs, not
maintained, debian infra specific - assuming I found the correct repository)

what do you think?

Thanks,
Nadav.