Supporting Ansible as another tool for ovirt infra mgmt

Eyal Edri eedri at redhat.com
Sun Apr 3 07:21:31 UTC 2016

I'd like to ask the team what do you think on $subject, in terms of pros &
cons.

As you all know we have been using puppet to manage our production infra
(user access, server configuration,etc... ).

Recently we started looking into migrating our mailman instance into new
hyper-kitty instance to run on the oVirt DC in PHX.
It seems that there is no true puppet classes available to install/manage
mailman3 but there is an Ansible playbook used / written by fedora to
deploy their instance.
So the question is should we start using/supporting Ansible as another tool
to manage our infra and leverage existing playbooks out there to reduce
work on migration of new services?
I'm not suggesting to migrate all puppet code into Ansible, but to allow
using Ansible when it make sense.

Here is what I had in mind with regards to pro/cons:
Pros

   - Saving time writing puppet classes for services (if Ansible playbook
   exists)
   - Bringing in new infra members which are interested in Ansbile (maybe
   publish the team in the relevant communities)

Cons:

   - Another tool to support/maintain
   - No real support to manage in foreman as we do for puppet (for sure not
   in our old version)

I'd love to hear your thoughts about it.

--
Eyal Edri
Associate Manager

phone: +972-9-7692018
irc: eedri (on #tlv #rhev-dev #rhev-integ)