Supporting Ansible as another tool for ovirt infra mgmt

Barak Korren bkorren at redhat.com
Mon Apr 11 08:38:25 UTC 2016

>> So, dear list, is there any other features you would miss? any concern?
>> I'd be glad to contact this guy but I don't know much about Foreman
>> except FOSDEM talks and not much (yet) about your needs, so please help!
>
> Would anyone give a hand please?

Well, what kind of hand is needed?
I remain unconvinced about the benefits of using Ansible here as
oppsed to the downsides of maintaining two CM systems in parallel.

> The Foreman version is old, so maybe this is the right time to reflect
> on some modernization. This is clearly a more bold task than we
> expected, but in the long run… I can also most probably get some time to
> give a hand on this migration.

Yeah I'm the current owner of the ticket to upgrade it and migrate it
to PHX, I will get to it eventually...

> If needed I will learn Puppet, but this is not a 5 minute job. As the
> upstream Puppet rules are crap, this means some work, so expect more
> time to get to it.

I think doing this kind of work will benefit us as well as others, it
should not be too much trouble imo.
Consider sending a rough patch to Gerrit, we can help and lead you from there.

> Let's at least raise the concerns you may have with this Foreman+Ansible
> combination now, this will surely be useful in the future if not now.

Eyal suggested using Ansible right now in a one-off fashion to get the
Mailman server up. I don't particularity like that idea beucase it
seems to me it would make us incur some technical debt we will not pay
quickly. I'd rather pay it upfront. But I can understand if we want to
take such short cuts it the interest of getting Mailman out of some
bad state it is currently it. I'm not sure what is the situation with
it right now.

--
Barak Korren
bkorren at redhat.com