Supporting Ansible as another tool for ovirt infra mgmt

Anton Marchukov amarchuk at redhat.com
Tue Apr 12 16:00:19 UTC 2016

Hello David, All.

Maybe it makes sense to rereview foreman alternatives for future... Tower
might be a good choice, but not open sourced yet and no plans for that.
Also using puppet from it needs to be reviewed.

Anton.

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 5:52 PM, David Caro Estevez <dcaroest at redhat.com>
wrote:

> I had a small chat with dlobato, it seems that the Foreman-ansible
> integration is halted because it potentially conflicts/collides with tower,
> but that if we publicly request it as project we might get it unlocked.
>
> David Caro
> El 12/4/2016 15:52, Eyal Edri <eedri at redhat.com> escribió:
>
> Top posting to summarize things:
>
> I'm OK with doing a 'POC' of using Ansible with mailman 3 in order to move
> forward with this migration and release linode server which we pay money
> for it
> on a regular basis while we could use this for other usage.
>
> This is what I suggest:
>
> 1. Create a VM in PHX called 'mail.phx.ovirt.org' - anyone from the team
> can do it - if no one is doing it by the end of this week, I'll do it.
> 2. You should get access to that VM (please send you ssh public key to
> infra list so we can add you and you'll get access to the VM).
> 3. Using the Ansible playbook to install the new service (hyperkitty) on
> the new VM.
> 4. Documenting the current configuration we have on lists.ovirt.org
> (existing mailman) and applying it to the new server. ( adapting the
> Ansible playbook to include our configuration )
> 5. Pushing the Ansible code into a repo (we might need to create a new git
> repo for it)
> 6. Migrating the server ( with a rollback option )
>
> Up until now this didn't include managing Ansible via foreman and only
> refers to migrating existing mailman to new server using Ansible.
>
> The second part is more tricky:
>
> 1. Install new foreman VM on PHX ( that's a pending task we need prioritze
> regarless of the mailman migration and we'll do it soon after jenkins
> migrated )
> 2. Check if its possible manage Ansible via foreman or what does it mean
> to do it
> 3. If we'll see that its not correlate to how we manage the infra right
> now and takes a big toll on management, we will decide the POC is a fail
> and we will need to write puppet classes to the new installed mailman.
>

> As you can understand this approach has a "risk" of doing some duplicate
> work, but I think its the best way to go because it will allow us to:
>
>    - Migrate the quickest way, saving money on hosting we don't need
>    - Testing Ansible support, which is something we can't ignore, as we
>    see more and more Ansible adoption and I believe we should evaluate it.
>    - We will be able to open bugs to foreman if we'll hit any issues
>    which is blocking us
>    - If we will end up writing puppet manifest, we would have not wasted
>    too much time on Ansible since most of the code is already available.
>

> Lets move forward with this.
>
> Eyal.
>

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 12:36 PM, Marc Dequènes (Duck) <duck at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Quack,
>>
>> On 04/11/2016 05:38 PM, Barak Korren wrote:

> [...]

Anton Marchukov
Senior Software Engineer - RHEV CI - Red Hat