Ovirt installation on fedora 23

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Tue Apr 19 09:11:23 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 12:02 PM, David Caro <dcaro at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 04/19 04:47, Guy Chen wrote:
>>
>> I am trying to install ovirt 3.6 on fedora 23, i have installed according to the site http://resources.ovirt.org/pub/yum-repo/ovirt-release36.rpm and yum repository was installed.
>> Then when trying to install ovirt-engine getting error message :
>> "No package ovirt-engine available"
>>
>> From looking the yum repository, the mirrolist path that is enabled does not exists, and baseurl under fc23 there are no RPM's :
>>
>> #baseurl=http://resources.ovirt.org/pub/ovirt-3.6/rpm/fc$releasever/
>> mirrorlist=http://resources.ovirt.org/pub/yum-repo/mirrorlist-ovirt-3.6-fc$releasever
>>
>> How can the ovirt be installed on fedora 23 ?
>
> Well, ovirt 3.6 is not supported on fc23, only fc22 right now, though you can
> try installing the fc22 rpms there (you might find nasty errors though).

Actually I think it's quite stable.

> For fedora 23 you can try the latest master, but it's right now a bit unstable
> as a lot of features and improvements are going in.

You can also try 3.6-snapshot, should be much more stable than master, and is
already published for fc23:

http://www.ovirt.org/develop/dev-process/install-nightly-snapshot/

Perhaps we can publish also stable for it.

Note that Reports is currently not built for it, was broken some time ago,
need to have a look at it.

For now, the simplest OS to use is el7.

> I'd recommend trying out running it in a vm at first, probably with centos if
> all you want to do is play around with it, for example using ovirt live:
>
>     * oVirt live: http://www.ovirt.org/download/ovirt-live/
>

> And if you feel adventurous, I can help you setup a full virtual environment
> with multiple hosts and nfs+iscsi storages using lago:
>
>    https://github.com/lago-project/lago
>
> Though might require a bit more effort
>

>> Thanks in advance

> David Caro
>
> Red Hat S.L.
> Continuous Integration Engineer - EMEA ENG Virtualization R&D
>
> Tel.: +420 532 294 605
> Email: dcaro at redhat.com
> IRC: dcaro|dcaroest@{freenode|oftc|redhat}
> Web: www.redhat.com