new Jenkins VM in PHX lab

Nadav Goldin ngoldin at redhat.com
Wed Feb 10 09:20:46 UTC 2016

> You forgot the 1st thing we told you - "don't create partitions on the
> disk"...
> Instead the whole disk '/dev/vdX' should be formatted as a PV, then you can
> grow it from the engine and then 'pvresize' followed by 'lvresize'.

I didn't forget, I came across [1] which quotes [2] and [3] saying
best-practice is to create a partition on the PV:

> *Not Recommended*
>
> Using the whole disk as a PV (as opposed to a partition spanning the whole
> disk) is not recommended because of the management issues it can create.
> Any other OS that looks at the disk will not recognize the LVM metadata and
> display the disk as being free, so it is likely it will be overwritten. LVM
> itself will work fine with whole disk PVs.

although I am no expert in lvm so if we agree its ok, no problem, I'll
change it.

[1]
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/76588/what-is-the-best-practice-for-adding-disks-in-lvm
[2] http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/initdisks.html