Using oVirt VM pools in oVirt infra

Barak Korren bkorren at redhat.com
Thu Jan 14 10:41:13 UTC 2016

On 14 January 2016 at 12:02, Anton Marchukov <amarchuk at redhat.com> wrote:

>> I was under the impression you are thinking about a wrapper job you
>> need to wrap around every job. This is a single, out of band, job. So
>> it may not be that bad.
>> You seem to imply that slaves managed by the Swarm plugin are not
>> 'normal' ssh-based slaves, so there might be something there we can
>> exploit (For example, perhaps the swarm client JAR can be made to exit
>> once the slave is brought offline, so we can wrap it in a script that
>> will shut the slave down when it does).
>> I will look deeper into this in my POC.
>>

> Arent there any ability to hook into shutdown process and delay it from the
> hook itself? There are vdsm hooks for that but I am not sure how pool
> scheduler interacts with it. Maybe we can ask on user list. As I see the
> ideal is to catch shutdown, than run some hook that will put skave to
> maintanance, wait for job to finish and than unblocks shutdown.

But this is the reverse of what we need, the problem is how to make
the slave shut down in the first place, you can`t just do it from the
job that used it because it will make the job fail.

But maybe we can actually use the good old 'shutdown $TIME_DELAY' to
make the slave shut down a few seconds after the job is done...
I can't believe I forgot you can time delay a shut down... I was
initially thinking of 'at' and then I remebred this...

--
Barak Korren
bkorren at redhat.com
RHEV-CI Team