restricting check patch/merged parallel jobs

Nadav Goldin ngoldin at redhat.com
Wed May 11 12:00:17 UTC 2016

I enhanced this[1] graph to compare slaves utilization vs build queue, note
that
the slaves utilization is measured in percentages and the number of builds
in the queue
is absolute. basically when the red lines are high(large queue size) and
the green ones(slaves
utilization) are low we could have possibly had more builds running. we can
see in the past few days
we've reached nice utilization of ~ 90% and following that the queue size
decreased pretty
quickly, on the other hand there were times of only 16% utilization and a
large queue ~ 70.
last I checked the least significant problem is the OS as most standard-ci
jobs
are agnostic to EL/FC, usually it was the jobs limit, or sudden peeks in
patches sent
but I didn't get to add 'reason each job is waiting' metric yet, so its
just a feeling.

maybe the Priority Sorter Plugin[2] which comes bundled with Jenkins
could address the problem of jobs waiting 'unfairly' a long time in the
queue,
though it will require to define the priorities in the yamls.

[1]
http://graphite.phx.ovirt.org/dashboard/db/jenkins-monitoring?panelId=16&fullscreen&from=1462654800000&to=1462966158602&var-average_interval=12h&var-filtered_labels=All&var-filtered_jobs_labels=All
[2] https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Priority+Sorter+Plugin